Community Police Academy
The Toronto Police Service – Community Police Academy (CPA) was re-launched in the Fall of 2016 to provide community members a transparent opportunity to learn first-hand about policing in the City of Toronto.
The Community Police Academy (CPA) is facilitated by the Toronto Police Service - Community Partnerships and Engagement Unit and offers a variety of training courses:
- The main training course is a nine-week in person ‘Introduction to the Toronto Police Service’ course that provides a comprehensive overview of policing in Toronto. Topics and takeaways include, the rich history of the Toronto Police Service, neighbourhood community policing, crime scene management, and how we investigate violent crimes. Further, the CPA course provides learners with a deeper understanding of police operations, from multi-agency collaborative partnerships like Furthering Our Communities Uniting Services (F.O.C.U.S), and the Mobile Crisis Intervention Teams (MCIT), to ‘why’ police do what they do.
- The one day on line ‘webinar’ or in-person lecture on ‘Police Arrest Authorities’ that provides a short overview of Police Authorities found within Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Legislation with linkages to Toronto Police arrest procedures.
- A variety of ‘Youth Academies’ involving customized module(s) in conjunction with High Schools, Community Centres, and other groups.
Students will participate in both classroom and practical/hands-on sessions facilitated by members of the Community Partnerships and Engagement Unit.
The Academy is free to anyone 16 years of age and older who lives, works, or volunteers in the city of Toronto. Students must attend every week in order to graduate; exceptions will only be made under exigent circumstances.
Hosted by the Toronto Police College, located at 70 Birmingham Street, in south Etobicoke, this best-in-class training facility will offer in-class lectures and discussions as well as practical exercises.
For the 9 week, CPA - ‘Introduction to the Toronto Police Service’ course the Toronto Police Service has partnered with Humber College to offer credits upon successful completion of the Community Police Academy. Graduates will be recognized by Toronto Police leadership in a formal ceremony and will be eligible for exemption from one course (3 credits) in the Humber College, Police Foundations Diploma.
Our Academy will be a place where the public can learn about the police, community safety and crime prevention. We want our communities to be informed so they can be empowered to positively impact community safety and well-being.
Community Police Academy - ‘Introduction to the Toronto Police Service’
The in-class Community Police Academy - Introduction to the Toronto Police Service course is offered on Saturdays and runs for 9 weeks. There are no classes on Statutory Holidays. Please note each class runs from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., unless otherwise noted in the schedule.
Course OutlineA complete schedule will be available on the first day of class but students can expect the curriculum to include the following areas of the Toronto Police Service:
- Police Training including arrest authorities, use of force, police vehicles, and students will participate in hand-on practical scenarios.
- Specialized criminal investigations including Homicide, Sex Crimes, Firearms, Cybercrime, and Forensics.
- Additional Topics include Mental Health, Equity and Inclusion, Elder Abuse, Domestic Violence, Traffic Safety, F.O.C.U.S Toronto, Police Dog Services, Community Partnerships, and Neighbourhood Community Policing.
Spring 2021: Not determined yet due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Fall 2021: Not determined yet due to Covid-19 restrictions.
‘Police Arrest Authorities’
- An on line Webinar will be offered on Saturday January 16 & 30, 2021 from 9am to 11am.
- If you are interested in attending an on line Webinar please contact the coordinator for dates and times at Community.Policeacademy@torontopolice.on.ca
- Interested youth groups, schools, etc.., please contact Community.Policeacademy@torontopolice.on.ca
When and How to Apply?
An application option will be added to this page for interested applicants to apply for the 2021 sessions.
We are preparing for Spring and Fall 2021 courses - please keep checking this page for updates and the addition of the application portal.
FOR THE ‘INTRODUCTION TO THE TORONTO POLICE SERVICE’ ONLY APPLICANTS WHO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED WILL BE NOTIFIED WITH AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER VIA EMAIL.