Traffic Safety Programs
School Crossing Guards
A crossing guard temporarily stops traffic to allow pedestrians to cross safely. The Toronto Police Service employs 600 school crossing guards for kindergarten to grade 6 children to navigate intersections around their schools safely.
- Stop when the crossing guard has the stop sign in an upright position
- Stop when the guard is entering the roadway
- Remain stopped until the children and the crossing guard have safely cleared the roadway
- Under the Highway Traffic Act, crossing guard’s stop sign has the same legal authority as a stop sign at an intersection
- You could face a minimum $150 fine and three demerit points for not stopping
If you are interested in having a traffic survey conducted in your area for a crossing guard, please contact the Chief of Police by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide the following information:
- Name of school
- Reason for request
- Identify the intersection or location where you would like a Crossing Guard
- Your name, address and phone number
School Crossing Guard Career Opportunities
The Toronto Police Service hires School Crossing Guards, whose main responsibility is to safely help all elementary school-aged children cross the street as they travel to and from school.
Candidates interested in applying as a School Crossing Guard are to attend in person at the Division closest to your home address.
Find Your Division
Requirements for employment:
- all applicants are required to pass a vision test,
- all applicants must provide a Certificate of Fitness from their family physician confirming that they are physically fit to carry out the duties of a Crossing Guard.
School Crossing Guards Careers webpage