Sex Crimes Unit
Special Victims Section
In accordance with The Toronto Police Service and Sex Crimes Unit's Mission,
Goals and Objectives, the Special Victims Section will:
- Thoroughly investigate allegations of criminal sexual offences which have
occurred against any person identified to be a sex worker.
- Recognize sex workers as "victims first".
- Identify and investigate sex workers under the age of eighteen (18) years-old
involved in juvenile prostitution.
- Apprehend sex workers under the age of sixteen (16) years-old involved
in juvenile prostitution and assist in their return
to safe environment.
- Identify, arrest and assist in the prosecution of pimps and all other parties,
involved in the commission of criminal sexual offences against sex workers.
- Assist in providing effective victim management and support services to
all required persons.
- Conduct regular outreach efforts with local community organizations and
sex workers themselves.
- Educate the public and police with respect to the unique dynamics of prostitution
to promote greater understanding of its unique challenges.