Sex CrimesE-mail Sex Crimes
40 College St., Toronto, ON , M5G 2J3
Officer in Charge: Inspector Justin Vander Heyden
The Toronto Police Service believes that everyone impacted by sexual violence should be treated with respect and dignity, fairness and honesty and in a professional and bias-free manner.
If you or someone you know have been impacted by sexual violence, please visit YourChoice.to for information on:
- Community support services accessible to you;
- Sexual Assault investigations;
- Possible outcomes;
- Criminal Court process.
The Toronto Police Service Sex Crimes unit was originally created in 1989 to investigate serious and serial sexual offences that were beyond the resources and/or expertise of divisional units.
Since that time, Sex Crimes has expanded and now incorporates specialized units that are dedicated to creating consistent and thorough investigations into sexual assault, while respecting the needs of victims and witnesses. These enhanced investigations promote best practices while at the same time encompassing victim sensitivity.
Public safety is a unit priority. Sex Crimes gratefully acknowledges community and external partnerships that assist the unit in serving the communities of Toronto.
Our goal is to identify, arrest and prosecute the person(s) responsible. At the same time, we support the choices that you as the survivor make with respect to the process that is best for you.
To report a sexual assault in Toronto call 416-808-2222, or if it's an emergency dial 9-1-1.
Victim Services Toronto, provides immediate crisis response available 24 hours a day in over 35 languages, 416-808-7066.
For further information contact Sex Crimes via email at email@example.com
Please note that this site is not monitored 24 hours a day.
Help Begins Here
Sex Crimes consists of six sections:
• Sexual Assault Investigative Section – Investigates sexual offences against persons where there is an ongoing risk to the community and the offender is unknown.
• Behavioural Assessment Section
Threat Assessment –The ability to assess for the potential of violence from an individual or group.
High Risk Offender Management – Manages offenders who have served full sentences and are released into the community without supervision.
Polygraph – Provides forensic polygraph testing and expertise in interviewing and statement review.
Sex Offender Registry – A provincial registration system for sex offenders, obligating them to report to police. Enables police to monitor and locate sex offenders in the community.
• Child Exploitation Section – Identify and rescue victims of online child sexual abuse and exploitation.
• Human Trafficking Enforcement Team – Identify victims and investigate cases of human trafficking for a sexual and/or forced labour purpose.
• Child & Youth Advocacy Centre – Investigate crimes and neglect against children and youth.
• Domestic Violence Coordinator – Engages with community partners and provides divisional support in domestic violence investigations.