Woman charged in sudden death of two-year-old boy,
Driftwood Avenue and Yorkwoods Gate area
Broadcast time: 16:30
Thursday, October 1, 2020
Case #: 2020-1406503
The Toronto Police Service would like to update the public on an arrest made in a Sudden Death investigation.
It is alleged that:
- on Tuesday, July 28, 2020, at approximately 5 p.m., a two-year-old boy was sleeping in his apartment, on the 14th floor, of a building in the Driftwood Avenue and Yorkwoods Gate area
- a woman, 31, left the apartment for unknown reasons, leaving the boy alone
- while she was away, the boy fell from the window
- he was rushed to hospital where he was later pronounced deceased
Investigators from the BOOST Child & Youth Advocacy Centre took over this investigation.
On Thursday, October 1, 2020, a woman, 31, of Toronto, surrendered to police. She was arrested and charged with:
1. Causing Death by Criminal Negligence
2. Parent/Spouse Not Providing Necessaries of Life-Endanger
She is scheduled to appear in court, at 1000 Finch Avenue West, on Thursday, November 5, 2020, at 2 p.m., in room 301.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-2922, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
The CYAC was opened in October 2013 and is comprised of specialized child abuse investigators from the Toronto Police Service, in collaboration with members of the Catholic Children's Aid Society, the Children's Aid Society of Toronto, the Hospital for Sick Children's Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect Program (SCAN), Radius Child & Youth Services, and Boost Child & Youth Advocacy Centre.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Amy Handsor, Sex Crimes - Child & Youth Advocacy Centre