Mental Health IssuesThe Police recognize that all mental health crises cannot be averted. The earlier the intervention, the less intrusive it is for the individual in crisis.
- Remain calm
- Listen to the person in crisis - What they say may hold the information you need to resolve the crisis
- Listening assures the person that you are trying to help them
- Remember your safety - If you are the focus of the person's anxiety, let someone else take the lead
- Reduce distractions - Give the person space, turn off the TV or radio and limit the number of people assisting
The Mental Health ActIt is always better to get cooperation from the person who needs help. Unfortunately, this is not always possible.
If the person:
- Has threatened or is attempting to cause bodily harm to him/herself
- Has behaved or is behaving violently towards others or is causing others to fear bodily harm from him/her
- Has shown or is showing a lack of competence to care for him/herself
There are several options:The doctor:
Have a doctor who has seen the person in crisis within the last 7 days issue a Form 1 - This form requires the person to be assessed at a psychiatric hospital
Have a doctor see the person in crisis either at the doctor's office or in the community and have the doctor issue a "Form 1"
The justice of the peace
See a JP and describe what behaviours the person is demonstrating that make you think they are at risk and in need of assessment - The JP may issue a Form2 which requires the person to go to a hospital for examination
If the person is currently acting out in a violent or threatening way - CALL 911 - If the Police can actually observe this behaviour, the person can be apprehended under the Mental Health Act and taken to the nearest hospital for examination
Both the Form1 and Form2 are valid for 7 days. Both forms are orders for the person to be examined or assessed but may not result in hospitalization.
For referral phone numbers and Mental Health Services please contact the Community Relations Officer at your local Police Division.