The purpose of Communications Services is to contribute to the achievement of the Toronto Police Service's mission, goals, and objectives by:
- providing this Police Service with an efficient, effective communications centre, ensuring access to the public and the police in the City of Toronto to emergency services, and generating the appropriate response to calls for service in a timely, appropriate manner.
In addition to compliance with the Police Services Act of Ontario and the Toronto Police Service Governance, Directives, and Policies, Communications Services, under the direction of the Staff Superintendent of Operational Services, is responsible for:
- operating and managing the communications systems within the Services;
- working with internal and external units, agencies and groups, including other police and emergency service providers, to deliver communication systems;
- providing support to the Communications Services' operational floor, the Duty Operations Centre and the Field in areas of voice radio, computer-aided dispatch, telephone user services, training and development, policies, procedures, systems analysis, and enhanced 9-1-1 facilities;
- administering the Service's False Alarm and Cost Recovery Programs;
- performing such duties as may be directed by the Chief of Police and/or the Deputy Chief of Police, Specialized Operations Command.
There's lots to see and do here...
Use the menu at the top right of the page to learn lots more about Communications Services including knowing when to call 9-1-1, learn about pocket dials and false calls, learn how to report a crime on-line, learn about our response to alarms, learn about E9-1-1 and it's history, download pamphlets about 9-1-1 in several different languages, see what the requirements and training for our job is like and how you can become a 9-1-1 operator!
Interact with us!
Our Social Media team is working to make our unit accessible and responsive to the public we serve. Everyone is invited to visit our page, like us, stay informed of updates or even post your general questions! All of our Social Media team is on and you can follow us to find out about what is moving and shaking our world!