Access and Privacy Section
General Records: All records are subject to access requests except records to which mandatory and discretionary exemptions apply under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
In addition to the application fee, there is a legislated fee schedule for the processing of access requests for general records (other computer related fees may also apply). Please see fee schedule.
Personal Information Records: Information relating to the requester themselves is referred to as personal information. Similar to general records, mandatory and discretionary exemptions may apply.
Identification must be provided in order for the release of personal information. A charge ($.20 per photocopy) as well as other computer related fees may be applied. Please see fee schedule.
The Act has privacy protection provisions concerning the collection, use, disclosure, retention and disposal of personal information. Access to another individual's personal information may be restricted without consent from that person.
If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else, or wish to obtain information about another person, you must supply the Toronto Police Service with signed authorization from that individual. Consent form
How to make an access/correction request
Mailing your request (by filling this form):
- Toronto Police Service
Access and Privacy Section
40 College St. 4th Floor
Toronto, ON M5G 2J3
Telephone: (416) 808-7850
Business hours: Mon-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
· Letter must be accompanied by a NON-WAIVABLE five dollar ($5.00) fee. Certified Cheque or Money Order made out to the "Toronto Police Service".
· If the request is for personal information, you must provide proper identification PRIOR to the records being released. List of suitable identifications.
Making your request in person:
· Attend 40 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, main floor lobby.
· Fill out the form provided as legibly as possible.
· Pay the NON-WAIVABLE five dollar ($5.00) fee. (Money Order, Certified Cheque, Debit, Visa or Mastercard accepted)
PLEASE NOTE: IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ACT, THE ACCESS AND PRIVACY SECTION HAS 30 DAYS TO COMPLY UPON RECEIPT OF YOUR REQUEST.
Types of requests
The following is a list of the most common types of requests processed through the Toronto Police Services' Access and Privacy Section:
· Records of Arrest
· General Occurrences; Incident Reports
· Memorandum Book Notes
· Witness statements or contact information
· Police related 9-1-1 Emergency calls
Requests not processed through the Access and Privacy Section include:
· Motor Vehicle Accident Reports
· Criminal Record
· Clearance Letters
· Police Reference Check Program
· Publicly available statistics such as those found on our Crime Statistics page.